I couldn't wait to get this canvas finished. The loft needed a giant canvas above the love seat and I knew exactly what I wanted. I found an idea on Etsy and pinned it because I knew I could mimic it in some way or another (Pin can be found, here.) The one I pinned is made from up-cycled wood but seeing that I didn't want anything heavy and I didn't want to mess with cutting wood, I knew I could make something similar with paint and a canvas. So that's what I did. And because of the bold colors in the loft (which is where this will be) I didn't want to make it all "matchy-matchy." The loft is anything BUT "matchy-matchy" so I went with 6 different colors, for all different sized stripes. I love how it turned out. It's exactly what the little space needed and I'm thrilled that it pulled all the colors in the room together.
- Acrylic Paint
- Masking Tape (or Painters Tape)
- I painted the entire canvas bright yellow. Two coats, and allowed it to dry and set for 24 hours.
- Then I taped it off. I didn't even use a measuring tape. I eyeballed it and went with it. No one has time for measuring afterall : ) I just made all different sized stripes with the tape and made sure the tape went around to the back so I could make the stripes continue onto the bottoms of the canvas instead of ending at the edge.
- Then took a credit card and made sure the tape stuck down so no paint would seep under it to create a messy stripe.
- Next I just started painting different colors. I didn't make it a pattern, and didn't care if there were more of one color than another. I just painted.
- Acrylic dries pretty quickly so I removed the tape after about 30 minutes.
It came out perfectly, or at least I think it did. I love it. It was easy and cheap and it pulled the entire loft together. What do y'all think? Was it a success?